Prior to establishing General Projects in 2016, our CEO, Jacob Loftus was the pioneer behind the development of Dept. W.
The building, built in 1926 as the Wickham’s Dept Store, was once known as the ‘Harrods of the East’, with its prominent tower designed to upstage Selfridges. Even more special though is the story of Mr Spielghalter, a local Jeweller who refused to sell Mr Wickham his shop, such that the building was eventually built around him.
The project involved a sensitive refurbishment and repositioning of this landmark art deco department store reconfiguring it into a new tech and media hub. Over 150 start up companies relocated to the building alongside Microsoft Ventures, Barclays Techstars and Central Working.